Wednesday, September 1, 2010

delayed post

Well I am here in my room in Granada writing out this blog in Microsoft word so I can then transfer it to the internet when I am able; my house does not have wireless. Well to start, my family is wonderful! I am staying with a married couple who have two vacant rooms where their children used to live when they were young. Carmen and Pepe have been welcoming and kind and have made me feel comfortable living so far away from home. I have my own room which looks out to my street and when my open my window at night the noise fills my room to remind me that I am definitely in a city. While bustling with people (at all hours of the night), Granada is still a quaint city although not as easy to navigate as I originally though. Now I know that I am not good with directions no matter where I am but I have walked in circles here and I am trying my best to become more familiar with the streets and their orientation on the map. Today we took a walking tour with the API group and I guess I was too busy looking at all of the shops and people to actually try to form a map of our route in my mind. It seems strange that just yesterday we were all in Madrid thinking about what life would be like in Granada and now we are here. In Madrid our group toured El Escorial which I found fascinating. We were actually brought into the chamber where all of the tombs of the Bourbon Kings and Queens of Spain reside! We also visited El Palacio Royal and El Prado which were both stunning. Yesterday on our way to Granada we stopped in Toledo; also known as the “City of Three Cultures” and I saw sights that blew my mind away. The region in picturesque to say the least; El Rio Tajo flows through it and brings a serenity that made it easy for me to imagine the region as it was in the mid 6th century as the first capital of Spain. Well what can I say, my stay here so far as been nothing short of amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment