Sunday, September 5, 2010

Becoming accustomed...

Well I just woke up today and I can tell it is going to be quite the scorcher here in Granada. So far the weather has been beautiful and pretty similiar to what it is back home although the extreme heat today reminds me that I am not in RI. My stay here so far has been full of learning opportunities and I continue to learn more and more every day. My host family is great and it is clear that I am not the first exchange student that they have had because most host Mom speaks to me clearly and with much patience. Since we have been in Granada we have toured t Sacromonte as well as Albaicin and the extreme Morrocan influence that I have been eager to see was definitely evident. The Arabic writing on the doors, the music being played, the way the people dress, everything has a sharp Morrocan flavor and it seems like we are in a different country. I saw many cuevas where Flamenco shows are held and other cuevas where many gitanos (gypsies) live secluded from the rest of the world. While we have not yet toured El Alhambra, on our tour we had the most breathtaking view of one side of it and just that glimpe made me have to sit down on the rock wall and just stare. It was truly amazing. We will be going on a tour with the whole API group later on in the program and many tours are offered through the CLM (Center of Modern Languages) where I am studying. Well if I wrote down every single thing that has interetested me so far it would take up far too much time and space so here are some things that I have learned about Spain, some specific to Granada.

1. Never touch fresh produce at the market to see if it is ripe. It is considered rude and there is a worker who will choose your produce for you.

2. Don't take a piece of fruit or muffin back with you after a complimentary breakfast at a hotel. That is also considered rude and you will be told to put it back.

3. In Granada some bars and cafes give you free tapas with EACH drink you order! Once I had three plates of tapas in front of me from merely ordering 3 cokes...not even beer!

4. Always keep both hands visible while you are eating. Unlike the U.S. where it is considered to polite to keep one hand folded in your lap, in Spain, the tradition of keeping both hands visible was developed to ensure one was not holding a weapon at dinner!

5. People who drive mopeds are more aggresive than people who drive cars. Beware of them!


6. You always need to ask for the bill because unlike the U.S., waiters and waitresses do not try to rush you out; they give you lotssss of time.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

Here is a picture someone took of all of my friends and me during our tour of Albaicin. This is the awesome view of the Alhambra I mentioned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment